Microscope type Cuff Dollond
Microscope Type Cuff signed on the cruciform stage Dollond London ,
The square mahogany base supporting the brass body of the microscope constructed from a tapered pillar with two screws for adjustment and focusing with a scroll finger holder to the base, and a plano concave mirror, the drawer below containing a number of a accessories with two additional objectives , a brass fishplate , a forceps.
The microscope is contained within a pyramidal deal case , with draw to the base containing glasses and accessory .
John Dollond (1706-1761) was a renowned English optician and instrument maker who made significant contributions to the field of optics, particularly in the development of the achromatic lens for microscopes and telescopes.
John Dollond was born on June 10, 1706, in London, England. He came from a Huguenot family, and his father was a silk-weaver. Despite having no formal education in optics, he had a strong interest in science and mechanics from a young age.
Dollond is most famous for perfecting the achromatic lens, which greatly improved the quality of images produced by optical instruments like microscopes and telescopes.
An achromatic lens combines two different types of glass to minimize chromatic aberration (color distortion), resulting in clearer and sharper images.
In 1758, Dollond patented the achromatic lens design, a breakthrough that significantly advanced the capabilities of optical instruments.
John Dollond’s achromatic lens design was so revolutionary that it led to legal disputes with other lens makers who attempted to replicate his invention.
These disputes ultimately led to a landmark decision in favor of Dollond in 1760, affirming his patent rights. As a result of his contributions to optics, he was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1761.
John Dollond’s company, Dollond & Aitchison, which he established with his son, Peter Dollond, became well-known for producing high-quality microscopes and telescopes with achromatic lenses. These instruments were widely used by scientists, astronomers, and researchers during the 18th century.